Powered by Blogger.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Hope

For someone struggling with anxiety issues and who is also a runner, today was a difficult day.  Watching the news about the bombings at the Boston Marathon was difficult and I kept thinking about all of the people who were injured or who died.  I thought about all of the people who had trained for many months for what was supposed to be a wonderful personal accomplishment but was marred by the senseless act of some random person.  Where is the shining light in all of this?

In watching the video of the aftermath, surprisingly, I did see something that gave me hope.  While so many people were running away, there were many people running toward the blast area to help.  I saw fellow mankind coming to the aid of people they didn't know and possibly putting themselves in harms way.  Making bandages out of their jackets and tourniquets out of their belts; holding the hands and giving comforting words to those gravely injured; lifting and throwing barricades off of the hurt; lending cell phones to others so they could let their loved ones know they were OK.......so many other examples of compassion.  It was amazing to me and gave me pause to reflect that through storms, there comes a rainbow.

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries.  Without them humanity cannot survive."  -Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment