Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Yarn Hop

A few days ago I blogged about the Yarn Hop taking place this weekend in the metro area.  It started on Thursday and end tomorrow, Sunday.  I took part today and went to five yarn shops!  I started at my local yarn shop, All About Yarn.  At whatever yarn shop you started, you received a folder.
Inside the folder is information about the Yarn Hop, directions to each one of the stores taking place the Hop and an attendance card that you can get stamped when you visit each shop.  If you get stamps from all of the shops in the Hop, you're eligible for a Grand Prize.  Here's a link to the Yarn Hop website for more details:  minnesotayarnshophop.com
Each shop also gave out a free pattern and had yarn especially made/dyed for these projects.
I'm mad at myself for not purchasing the specially made yarn at Darn Knit Anyway, in Stillwater, MN.  That was my first stop today and I was afraid if I spent money at the first stop, I'd regret it at the later stops.  What I regret is not purchasing the beautiful blue and green yarn!  They displayed a photograph which was the inspiration for the color next to the yarn.  It was a photograph of the St. Croix River and surrounding woods in the spring with the lovely blue sky in the background.  I guess this just means that I'll have to make a trip there again some day!
 Even if you're not a knitter, some of the yarn shops are also great gift shops.  My favorite (besides All About Yarn) was Lila and Claudine's Yarn & Gifts.  The shop is in Mahtomedi, MN.  Here's a link to their website:  lilaandclaudines.com  This shop is in a two level little old house.  They have lots of yarn but also have handmade jewelry, fiber art, decor.......lots of very creative, wonderful things!  I bought yarn there and received the free cowl pattern that went with it.
The yarn on the right is very unique.  It's bulky and has lots of different texture to it.  There are little fabric flowers, glittery thread, pieces of brightly colored material and different colors of yarn.
I'm using this yarn with two strands of the mohair below in an alternating garter stitch pattern to make a very unusual looking cowl.
I will definitely share a picture of it when I am done! 

"I'm a yarnaholic.  That means I have more yarn stashed away than any one person could possibly use in three or four lifetimes.  There's something inspiring about yarn that makes me feel I could never have enough."  -Debbie Macomber






No comments:

Post a Comment