Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stay-cation Resource

Anyone who knows me knows that I am always looking for fun little places......to eat, to shop, to take classes, to introduce my family or friends to, to lose myself in, to enlighten me.  Maybe most of all, to bring me joy.  Friends pass on new places to try but last night, while getting my hair done at my wonderful friend Mandy's house, I came across a May 2013 Minnesota Monthly magazine.
 This issue lists the "12 Best Neighborhoods to explore now!" and I can't wait to start planning some fun days out!  Besides the eclectic neighborhoods to explore, this magazine also shares what is happening around town.  Music coming to the big and small venues (you will find me at the Dakota on May 15 to see jazz singer Jane Monheit), events like the May Day Parade put on by In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre and so many other joy inducing people, places and things.

This is a magazine with which I am going to get a subscription.  I went to Barnes and Noble today to get my own copy and have read it cover to cover multiple times.  It doesn't just share Minneapolis/St. Paul places and events but it explores out state Minnesota too.  I would suggest if you're putting together things to do this summer, that this magazine be one of your reference guides.  Maybe I'll see you when I'm out eating dinner at Parka with my husband or maybe you'll run into to me and my 16 year old photographer son at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.  If you hear giggling at the Edina Cinema, that would be me and my friend Wendy (we seem to find humor every where we go).  My daughter will be the one chasing the chickens around The Wild Rumpus Bookstore and my middle son will be competing in a disc golf competition at our local course.  If you see me at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, remind me of the time because I always lose any concept of time while studying art.

Even if you don't live in Minnesota, be creative in your adventures.  If you're going to eat out, don't just choose a chain restaurant.  Look for those corner cafes and locally owned places.  Buy clothes and jewelry from local artisans.  Make it a goal to visit all free free museums within 100 miles.  Support your local Little League or youth softball - there's nothing better than sitting in the sun, eating sunflower seeds and cheering for BOTH teams.  Buy a gift from a local boutique instead of a nationally recognized store.  Find a campsite that suits both grandparents and the youngest of campers.  Buy vegetables from the actual farmer rather than the grocery store.  Find a running group that suits your running style.   

I'm so excited to plan things to do this summer.  Look out family......I've got our "stay-cation" all planned.  And Jack, I don't care that you're 16 years old.  Eating breakfast with your mom on a Sunday morning at The Bachelor Brothers will be fulfilling to your stomach and my heart!

"Life is a blank canvas, and you need to throw all the paint on it you can."  - Danny Kaye








No comments:

Post a Comment