Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Homemade Fish Sticks

Fish frys are wonderful.....but not always that healthy.  My family loves to eat fried fish - the crispier the better.  Problem is, I have a problem deep frying anything but I so love the taste and the crunch of something fresh out of the oil!

A few months ago, in the mail I received my copy of Real Simple magazine.  There, in the recipe section, was a beautiful picture of what looked liked deep fried fish.

 
Upon closer inspection, the recipe was for OVEN BAKED fish.  I was pretty skeptical because I had tried these types of recipes in the past and got lots of thumbs down from my family for taste and appearance.  BUT being the ultimate optimist, I thought I'd give these a try.  This time is was all thumbs up and a meal that I have added into my meal planning "rotation" (more on that in an upcoming blog).

Here's the recipe (from Real Simple) with pictures by me!

Ingredients:

3 cups panko bread crumbs
1 Tablespoon seafood seasoning
1/3 cup olive oil
Kosher salt
3 large eggs


2 1/2 pounds skinless tilapia fillers, cut into 1-inch strips

Here's how to put them together:
Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.  Toss the bread crumbs, seafood seasoning, salt and oil together.

 
Spread the seasoned bread crumbs on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Toast in the oven for about 5 to 7 minutes - be sure to toss them at least once so all of them get toasted.  Here they are toasted golden brown.






In a bowl, beat the eggs and one tablespoon of water.


Then dip the fish in the egg mixture.


Roll in the toasted bread crumbs.  Push down a little so they get coated well.



Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.


Bake fish in a 450 degree F oven until they are crisp and opaque - about 12 to 15 minutes.  Serve them hot!


"To eat is a necessity; to eat intelligently is an art."  -La Rochefoucauld









No comments:

Post a Comment