Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Window Upcycle

My mom has two wonderfully creative friends Lisa and Sheila.  Lisa and Sheila own a small shop called Country Road Treasures which is outside of Big Stone City, SD.  They re-purpose items like antique beds into benches or add flowers to an otherwise boring dish.  They do all kinds of "junk market" type things but my favorite is how Lisa upcycles old windows. 

When walking through her shop one day, I spied this red cabinet.
My bedroom walls were about the same color so I thought it would fit perfectly in my master bathroom - kind of tie the two together.  It also gave me a little extra storage space in an otherwise small bathroom.  It is made from an old window turned on its' side.  Lisa added sides, a bead board back and shelves.  She painted it red but roughed it up a little to give it that vintage look.

When my husband and I decided to put in a new bathroom on our main floor, I knew just where to look for a cabinet for the bathroom wall.  This time I ordered a size and color that would work in my new bathroom.  Lisa worked her magic and found the perfect window to transform into a cabinet.
My parents got new windows on their house and had no need for the old storm windows.  My mom asked Lisa to turn a couple of these windows into big cabinets that sit on the floor and she gave one of them to me as a gift.  She kept the other for her own kitchen.  This is my cabinet which is being housed in my parents' basement until its' new home, our cabin, is finished being built.
Again, Lisa added sides, a bead board back and shelves.  You can see how roomy it is.  Those are photo boxes on the shelves and there is plenty of room for them.  Now I'm always on the lookout for interesting windows......I have a few other blank walls in my house that could use an upcycled window!

"A creative mind sees every pile of junk as a jigsaw puzzle."  -Steve Supple

No comments:

Post a Comment