Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Birthday Memory Tradition

I have a birthday tradition that I do every year for each of my children.  It's something they don't get to see until they're older (I haven't decided what age yet) and it's something I keep in our safe.  Curious????  It's a birthday letter.  My mom has been doing this too and she decided that 16 was the magic age to share them.  So my son, who turned 16 today, received a very sentimental gift from his grandma.


For this tradition, each birthday, I buy a card.....





I write a note inside about what he/she has done in the past year, my hopes and dreams for him/her for the coming year, something funny he/she has done, something not so nice that happened.....their year in a nutshell.  Then I put the card in the envelope, put his/her name on it and in the upper right corner I write his/her birthday year.




I tie them together with a ribbon and then tuck them into our safe.

While my mom thought 16 was a good year to share this gift, I haven't decided when the best time would be yet.  Maybe 18.....maybe 21.....maybe on his/her wedding day.  I guess I will know when the time is right.

"We must always have old memories and new hopes."  -Arsene Houssaye




No comments:

Post a Comment