Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My favorite knitting desinger - Don Waalen

To say that I like to knit is an understatement.  I carry a project in my purse.  I have one stashed in the glove compartment of my car.  There are a few projects in a basket by my bed and I have a large project (an afghan for my sister and brother in law) occupying "my chair" in our family room.  I have binders with wish list knitting projects, books with pages marked for future projects and magazines with projects I may tackle some day. 

Out of all of these patterns, I have one favorite designer.  His name is Don Waalen.  You can find him on Ravelry and he's working on a book of patterns that he hopes to have out by Christmas.  I not only like his designs, I am intrigued by how he names his patterns and I love to get advice from him on color choices.  He periodically teaches classes around the Minneapolis, MN area and if you ever get the chance to meet him, you will personally witness how talented and vivacious he is!

Here are three of the four projects I completed using his patterns - modeled by my 10 year old daughter so things will look a little big.  The fourth one I made for my mom so if you're interested, ask her to show you the pink and blue cowl with sequins that I made for her.  If you look for the pattern on Ravelry it's called "Lillian".

This first one is my favorite.  It's called "Mossy Cables Ponchette".

It calls for either a chunky or light bulky weight yarn.  Depending on the fiber you use, the look will be quite different.  It's knit on size 17 & 19 circular needles.  It knits up really quick.

This next one is called "French Market Shawl".  The hardest part is the cast on but Don gives specific/clear instructions on how it's done.  It's all knitting with yarn overs until you get to the trim, then it's just knitting and purling.

I wore this today with a shawl clasp made by my favorite local jewelry designer, Barb Ash.  I wore it with a red turtleneck and got loads of compliments.

The last one is called "The Socialite".  Don helped me pick out the perfect red.  I made mine a little bigger than the pattern called for so I could wear it either as a shawl or a scarf.  It's knit with yarn and thread with sequins.  I feel like a "socialite" when I wear it!

 
When looking for a gift for your favorite knitter (I would love his book for Christmas - HINT HINT) or when looking for something unique to knit, check out Don Waalen's patterns.  You won't be disappointed!

"Knitting forever....housework whenever!"  -Annonymous

  

No comments:

Post a Comment