Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mini knitting project

"I must be crazy,"  I said to another mom who was waiting for our daughters' dance class to end.  She was engrossed in her laptop while I was hunched over, poking my fingers and snagging my yarn while trying to knit with toothpicks.  Yes.......that's right.......toothpicks.

My daughter wants to have a party to teach her friends how to knit a scarf.  I think it's a great idea and we've heard from a lot of her friends who would love a lesson in knitting.  Well, we can't have a party without invitations so I thought it would be cute to knit a little "half" scarf to go on the front of the invitation.  My mom had done something similar for her knitting friends and she put it on a Christmas card.

Here is how I did it.  These are the supplies I started with:  yarn, round toothpicks and modeling clay.
I cast 6 stitches on a toothpick.  If you've ever knit baby socks or light weight adult socks, you'll find that toothpicks are about the same circumference as the real knitting needles used in those projects - toothpicks are just a lot shorter.
Then, just knit like normal.
And "Viola!!!"  a mini half scarf!
Cut the end about 8 inches from your knitted project.  Use cardboard to make a little circle - around dime size.
Put a dab of glue on the cardboard and attach the end of yarn.
Wrap the yarn around the cardboard to make it appear like a ball of yarn.  Put some glue at the end of your wrapping to hold it in place.
Now to make the toothpicks look more like knitting needles.......roll a tiny bit of the modeling clay into a ball.
Place it on the end of the toothpick.  (I used modeling clay that air hardens.)
I am using my mini knitting project for an invitation so I slathered all of it (knitting needles too) with glue.
Here's my finished project.
Can't wait to send them out!  Can't wait for the party either!

"Teaching tolerance with pointy sticks and yarn.  Knitters for social and political change."  -Cafe Press










  

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Thanks for sharing. I bet your party went well.

    ReplyDelete