Powered by Blogger.

Friday, July 19, 2013

A Visit Home

I'm at my parents' house in Ortonville, MN with my daughter.  Tomorrow morning, we will be leaving for Aberdeen, SD for my uncle's 90th Birthday Party.  (My mom is the youngest of 14 and my uncle is the third oldest.)  One of my mom's sisters and her husband are also at my parents' and will be making the trip tomorrow too.  It has been a long day but I will be going to bed with a smile as I replay in my mind the stories my mom and aunt told about growing up in South Dakota.

They were poor and their mother passed away when my mom was jut a little girl but they both recalled a wonderful childhood.  They made me laugh and I learned more about my mom in the last few hours than I have over the past 40 years!  Maybe I'm just a better listener now or maybe I'm finally old enough to understand that my mom was someone's daughter and someone's little sister - an individual long before she was my mom.

I'm so thankful that I have the family that I do.........and I hope to hear many more stories tomorrow.

"Memory...is the diary we all carry about with us."  -Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment