Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tonight It's Cinnamon Rolls!

Ok, so today I did a little modification to my caramel roll recipe from yesterday.  I used the same roll dough recipe that I started with yesterday.  Here it is again for those of you who missed it:  1 cup water, 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil, 3 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast.  You can mix this up in your bread machine or use the traditional method.

I rolled the dough out on my counter in a rectangle shape then brushed it with about 2 Tablespoons of melted butter.
Then I made a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon - heavy on the cinnamon.  Yesterday I used more brown sugar with a sprinkling of cinnamon.  Today I used about 3 Tablespoons of cinnamon to about a cup of brown sugar.  I played around with the ratio of brown sugar to cinnamon based on taste.  Cinnamon rolls will have more cinnamon and caramel rolls will have more brown sugar.  Then I spread this mixture over the buttered dough.

I used the dental floss trick to cut the rolled dough into circles (see yesterday's blog for details).  Make sure you grease the pan you're using and then place the rolls in the pan.
I baked them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Make sure you watch them.  Yours may take longer or shorter than 30 minutes.  Take them out when they're golden brown.  While mine were baking, I mixed up a quick frosting.  I started with 2 cups of powdered sugar.
To that, I added 1 Tablespoon melted butter - no substitution here.  Butter is better for you than margarine!
I mixed in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and enough milk to smooth out the frosting (today I used about 3 Tablespoons milk).

I used an electric mixer to blend the frosting.
As soon as the rolls were done, I took them out of the oven and spread on the frosting.  I wanted the frosting to melt over the rolls.
I have no teenage boys home at the moment as taste testers - work and friends are taking priority at the moment.  My husband liked the caramel rolls better than the cinnamon rolls.  My Aunt Patti and Mom have created a roll making monster!  I'm thinking about flavored fillings and toppings.  Adding nuts and chocolate.  The possibilities are endless!

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."  -Julia Child
 

No comments:

Post a Comment