Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Great Seafood Cookbook

My sister and her family just returned home from a trip to the west coast.  One of their stops was Seattle, WA.  My sister knows I love to cook.  Love fish and love the Pike Place Market.  Her gift to me from their trip was a fabulous cookbook called In the Kitchen with the Pike Place Fish Guys by The Crew of Pike Place Fish.
I have spent the evening reading it from cover to cover.  It is broken into sections:
This section talks about the history of the fish stand - how it got started.  It also talks about farmed vs. wild caught food and why they support sustainable fishing methods.  They explain why they no longer carry some fish and they provide information on fish that are "best choices" and why.

The second section is all about educating the fish consumer.
You can read about "throwing" a salmon,
cleaning a prawn,
and filleting a salmon.
Of course there are also some amazing recipes.  Here are just a couple examples:

There is also a section towards the end of the book I found really interesting.  It's all about cooking with raw seafood.  It gives detailed instructions and some great recipes of putting together tasty and SAFE raw seafood dishes.

I can't wait to visit my local fishmonger and get started on some of these recipes.  Armed with the information in this book, I will no longer have to worry about rubbery shrimp or dried out salmon or tasteless rockfish!

"In the hands of an able cook, fish can become an inexhaustible source of perpetual delight."  -Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

No comments:

Post a Comment