Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Homemade Caramel Rolls

Last weekend, my aunt shared some really good cinnamon rolls with us.  I wished, out loud, that I was able to make cinnamon rolls or caramel rolls.  Homemade though - down to the dough.  Both my mom and my aunt told me that was so easy to make these rolls and there wasn't any magic recipe.

They told me to use a favorite roll recipe for the dough.  I used my bread machine to speed up the dough making process.  Here are the ingredients I use for my roll dough:  1 cup water, 1 egg, 1/4 cup oil, 3 cups bread flour, 1/4 cup sugar, pinch of salt and 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast.  You can either use the bread machine or use the same ingredients and traditionally make the dough.

Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
Make up a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.  I didn't measure either - just mixed up enough to cover the dough.

Roll the dough on the long side of the rectangle.

I used dental floss to cut my dough.  This works great because it keeps the dough from being "mushed" by a knife.  You get perfect circles!


Next, I made a caramel sauce for the bottom of my dish.  In a saucepan I combined 3/4 cup oil,
3/4 cup cream,
1 1/2 cups brown sugar,
6 Tablespoons butter,
and a pinch of salt in a saucepan.
Bring this mixture to a boil for 5 minutes.
Pour the caramel mixture into a pan - I used a 9" x 11" glass pan.
Press the roll into the caramel mixture in your pan.

Cover the rolls with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place without a draft.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the rolls turn golden brown.
Invert the rolls onto a pan.  BE CAREFUL!!  The pan and the caramel will be very HOT!
Take the pan off of the rolls and ENJOY!
I made them tonight at about 6:30pm and I have less than a half a pan left.  I guess they're a hit with my family!

"People who love to eat are always the best people."  -Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment