Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 8, 2013

My Favorite Book Store

I had been listening to the radio today on my way home from work and one of the hosts on the show just raved about two books she had recently read.  I'm always interested in what other people are reading so at the next stoplight, I quickly jotted down the names of the books.  When I got home, I looked up the authors and then went on an internet search to see if they were available at any of the Anoka County Libraries.

The books I was looking for were Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell.  "Gone Girl's toxic mix of sharp-edged wit with deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn."  As for The Other Typist, here's what it says from the author's official website (suzannerindell.com/the-other-typist/):  "With a few strokes of the keys that sit before her, she can send a person away for life in prison.  A typist in a New York City Police Department precinct on the lower east side, Rose is like a high priestess.  Confessions are her job.  The criminals admit to their transgressions and Rose records their crimes.  It is 1923, and while she may hear every detail about shootings, knifings, and murders, as soon as she leaves the interrogation room she is once again the weaker sex, best suited for filing and making coffee."

Of course, neither book was available at any of the Anoka County Libraries and to be put on a waiting list.......well, I would have been about number 260 for both books.  My other options were to buy the book electronically for my Kindle, go to Barnes & Noble or search my favorite book store, Half Price Books.  I chose the last option and went to Half Price Books.  I didn't find the books I was looking for but it didn't really matter.  I spent an hour perusing the shelves of books, CDs, DVDs and audio books.

Just because they didn't have what I was looking for today, doesn't mean that I won't find it there tomorrow.  Half Price Books buys books and adds the stock to their overflowing shelves.  It is a very organized book store and the staff is very knowledgeable in all book genres.  I have sold many a box of books here and although the prices I get for each book isn't a lot, it's better than letting these never to be read again books take up space on a book shelf or sit out of sight in a box in my basement.

There are lots of treasures to be found here - current best sellers, classics, books out of print, trade paperbacks, audio books, poetry, books about artists, travel, languages, cooking, beading, architecture, even antique books.  It's great that there's a Half Price Books about 2 miles from my house.....although I'm not sure my husband would agree!

"The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."  -Abraham Lincoln

3 comments:

  1. I love Half Price Books too. I also have one too close to my house. Too many books, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read GONE GIRL a couple months ago... & would recommend it, (but only loved the first 2/3). It was a hard book to put down and a good book to discuss. As soon as I find a little time, I'd like to read the author's other two novels :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neilee.....I didn't even know she had other books. Will have to check them out too!

    ReplyDelete