Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Salad for Supper

When it is this hot outside, the last thing I want to do is turn the oven on or stand over a hot stove top to make suppers.  It's days like this when I pull out my salad recipes.  With a flavorful salad, some fruit and buns or bread, I can make a filling supper that everyone in my family can enjoy.

Today we had my favorite salad.  It's a recipe I got from my mom.  I like it because it's versatile and you can add or subtract ingredients to fit your family's taste.  These are the ingredients I used:

coleslaw, green onions, 2 tomatoes, celery and a cucumber (you can also add fresh peas; red, yellow, orange or green pepper),
macaroni rings and cheddar cheese.
Start by preparing 2 cups of macaroni rings as directed on the package then strain and add to a large bowl.

Peel and dice the cucumber.  Add to the bowl.
Slice a bunch of green onions, 1/2 cup of celery, 2 tomatoes and add them to the rings and cucumbers.


To this mixture, add about a half a bag of shredded cabbage and 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese (optional).  Mix until the ingredients are blended well.


The dressing is a simple mixture of mayonnaise (real mayo), sugar and cider vinegar.
To a small bowl, add 1 cup of mayo, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar.


Whisk until smooth and pour over the noodles, vegetables and cheese.

Mix well.
This salad is best eaten the day after you put it together.  I usually can't wait that long!  We had this salad, bread sticks and fresh grapes for supper.  It was a very refreshing meal on a very hot night!

"...food is not simply organic fuel to keep body and soul together, it is a perishable art that must be savoured at the peak of perfection."  -E.A. Bucchianeri

No comments:

Post a Comment